Thursday, November 10, 2005

Politics,Christians and Human beings

Tuesday was a big milestone in several areas of our country. Some serious issues were put to vote mainly in Texas (gay marriage) and Maine ( trying to rescind gay discimination rights of employment)

Let me start of with a minor blurb about myself and my views.

Religion~

I grew up in Lawrence Mass and I was raised protestant. I went to church on Sundays, Sunday school and bible school in the summer.

While I remain protestant by denomination I am non practicing at the moment.

My wife was raised devout catholic and even attended catholic schools etc. To this day her mom is a volunteer for their church. Other than the day I got married I rarely attend church for several reasons, some are the views of the molestation cover ups all the way to the amount of money the church collects. IMO like any organization that gets too big for itself it suddenly becomes about power and money and not its intended purpose.

Politics~

I am a registered republican and share a lot of very conservative views on gun rights, welfare benefits and the way taxes are collected and distributed. I also have some more liberal views regarding abortion, Civil Rights etc. This sometime causes conflicts within myself when it comes to politicians and where they land on either side of the political line.


As we all know Tuesday was a big vote which lost in Texas that would enable gay people the right of marriage. It is beyond me why in this day and age we are allowed to discriminate in certain ways and criticize about basic human rights in others.

In Maine Tuesday there was a referendum on the ballot to repeal a state law. This law states tha tit is ILLEGAL so discriminate based on sexual orientation in regards to employment. In a nut shell what is so bad about that law?

Jeff/Work~

I work with an engineer here that is a devout Christian. He isn't the type of Christian that bible bumps whenever he gets the chance and usually reserves it for conversations that have already been initiated. Jeff is very much like me in believing that you should exercise your right to vote regardless of whether you feel it makes a difference or not. (Jeff is from ~ MAINE)

To take that a step further we are also of the belief that if you don't vote then you don't have the right to your opinion regarding the results, you've given your right to complain up at midnight on voting day.


On Wed morning Jeff stopped in nd I asked him if he voted on Tuesday knowing full well where I would be headed with the conversation. Jeff answered by saying he hadn't which was a big disappointment to me given our views on the matter. He had decided it was more important to go have a pick-up basketball game Tuesday instead of hustling home and pulling the lever.

It was the next sentence that took me by surprise even though I shouldn't have been. He was disappointed his referendum had been defeated to which I inquired what it was. "Gay Rights!"


I could not believe someone who was a Christian could be that way. I certainly can understand his beliefs on homosexuality from a religious point of view even if I do not agree. I was taken back by the fact that anyone could be against a basic human right of not being discriminated against!

People it does not matter whether you are

straight,gay,transgendered,black,white,Christian,atheist,Satanist or simply just finding your way through life why should be be legal to fire someone for just being? This country has come a long way from where it was founded but I learn everyday that we have a long way to go in just treating each other with respect.

Last time I was involved with any type of bible study was years ago but I am of the belief it teaches about love and non-judgment, yet time and time again if you are not a Christian then you are treated like scum by these people. This is the biggest thing that drove me from religion


You want to fire someone from a job then do it for the right reasons~ incompetence,absenteeism,susbstance abuse etc...But not for being human ...



Kiev

No comments: