Sunday, January 15, 2006

NH in Jan ........

Funny I always piss and moan about how much I hate the cold weather in New England and especially the winter. It's funny because there are things that stand out so vividly to me at this time of the year

Ever looked out over a snow covered landscape in the full moon? Well tonights isn't exactly a full moon but it is as close as can be .. maybe 15/16 full .. If you have never seen snow I'm sure it must be tough to imagine, I guess the closest thing you could equate it too would be when you see a white ceiling that has the silver sparkle mixed in.

Looking out over the landscape at night with a full moon is one of the most calming sites the soul can take in~ Even if your freezing your ass off! The most amazing thing is that as dark as an open field without lights can be, with the moonlight glistening across the sparking snow there isn't much that you wouldn't be able to see. The light bounces off the snow and creates a glow that anyone who has even seen ..it would always remind them of home in N.E. The snow sparkles like looking out over a clear starlit night. I'm not sure what the difference is at this time of year but looking up into the heavens it never ever seems as crisp and clear as it does at this time of the year.

When you go out at night in the snow the most bizarre thing is the sound or the lack off. It is like all the sound becomes asorbed by the snowcover and it is eerily quiet and dead sounding. It is almost as though all reverberation has been sucked into a black hole ... LOL ..

I guess as much as I have a negative opinion of winter, my life just wouldn't be the same without the experience ..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't have to imagine that, I have fond memories of growing up with snowy nights like that! AWESOME, to say the least. One of my fondest memories is when dad and I went out into the pine woods, completely blanketed with snow, to get firewood. We took our big red doberman, Max, with us. It was such a sight to watch him lumber off, in one direction, into the bright and silent woods, then come back at us from the completely opposite way! He'd sneak up on us and bark his ass off to surprise us! His nose would usually be covered in snow from rooting around under it. And the only other sounds you could hear would be the snow "flumping" to the grownd in clumps that were too heavy for the trees. Good times!

emily said...

Yes, yes I have looked out over a snow covered pristine landscape bathed in the moonlight of the full moon. The light and the silence and the mystery is enchanting!
I love this blog entry, it brings back happy winter memories for me.
Enjoy!