Sunday, October 01, 2006

Changes

Been a pretty busy weekend for Dee and me .. lol .. I made a rhyme!! .. We just got back from the White Mountains this am on an overnight trip as my oldest friend got married yesterday. When I say "oldest" friend that is to say that we have been friends for the better part of 35 years.

He had a nice ceremony at a little Inn nestled in the mountains of NH. The backdrop for his vows was an area overlooking a hill and a mountain range in the distance. While it was a quaint ceremony with only 13 of his closest relatives and friends it was definitely a memorable way to pledge his love to his new wife.

When I grew up in Lawrence Ma it was on a middle class American city street much like you see on any television show. My friend grew up on the opposite side of the street 4 houses up from mine in a lime green 2 family. I could never understand why his grandfather had a lime green house ... people do that stuff intentionally?

From the time we met we have shared more than a lifetime of memories from playing little league, family tragedies,celebrations, drinking parties and all around good fun. He was there when I got married, He watched my daughter grow and treated her as though she was his niece.

When she was 2 years old I worked a second shift job, he used to stop by my house once a week and watch my daughter just so Diane could drive down and bring chocolate chip cookies to my job for us to enjoy... true friendship at its best

Whenever I did work to my home he was always the first to volunteer, the last to leave and most of all the first to crack a beer when the job was done.

When he met the love of his life it was tough for a while giving up the friend that seemed to be a permanent fixture around my home. He was like the brother in law you could never get to go home but never minded if he stayed. But as things changed and his relationship bloomed you could see a new happiness in him that hadn't been there before as if all was suddenly right with the world.

As he took his new bride this weekend with my wife and I watching on with pride I have only one thought that comes to mind ...

When will he have kids that I can spoil because payback is a bitch ......


Here's to a happy life together B&P

Luv K&D

No comments: