Friday, May 26, 2006

Night to day, Tomorrow and tonights

I'm not sure when it actually happens but one day you look at your children and you finally see signs of maturity and an adult. Don't get me wrong, I still look at my daughter and see my little girl but our daily interactions have changed so much

I remember when she was young I so loved to be around her, watch her grow and most of all tease her. I don't know how she perceived being teased by me but the fact is that it was one of my ways of trying to show love. This was pretty much how I had grown up.

Case in point...

Jess had become interested in organized baseball so we signed her up for teeball. She did her first year and the second year I actually was lucky enough to be chosen to coach her team. Tee ball in our home town was anything but ..They never hit off of a tee back then ..We pitched a soft ball to them..

I grew up loving the sport of baseball, playing and watching the redsox so it was definetly nice to have an interest to share with her. We would go out in the yard an throw the ball around and I would always tease her ..

Jessica would wind up and toss me the ball and I would yell back ..YOU THROW LIKE A GIRL!! this would almost always illict the response "I DO NOT" in and almost upset voice. I don't remember when it changed but one day we went through our routine and the resonse was different ...

But Dad ..... I am a girl ...

I knew my daughter was growing ..She was actually reasoning with me over what I had said ..

Days turn to weeks, weeks to months and months to years it is just a part of life. As she turned into her teens that little girl that was the apple of my eye and slowly become an ememy of the republic.. And we spent the better part of her teenage years fighting with each other.

It wasn't always her fault, a lot of times it was due to my own struggles with life but it was anything but the relationship we once had.. The one I had really missed ...

Recently my daughter has moved back home due to personal issues. We have been able to have a lot of conversations and she is back to the person that I missed so much . Caring and fun to be around but most of all she is reasoning with life now and trying to make better decisions for herself. I'm proud of where she has grown in her life now and how we are able to have conversations that show love and respect again ..

I'm looking forward to watching her continue to mature, better herself and watch her grow into the woman and mother I know she is able to be. Most of all I look forward to the day where she is able to watch her children mature and be proud of not only them but what she has accomplished in life...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

But dad!! I am a girl! lol love you!

Jessie poo